Sunday, April 5, 2009

I dream: a familiar girl, a green and yellow plain, forests in the distance. A group of familiar people, a farm, a calm, relaxed lifestyle. I live there for weeks, I never talk to the girl, I'm a farmer, I enjoy my life. A great war comes, everyone has to fight, even the girl. We go to train in a snowy landscape filled with glacial cliffs and mountains. We train, we prepare, we learn to fight and to use magic. We're in a huge, icy temple, it's been abandoned for years, the corpses of our fellow soldiers line the floors, fresh blood running down to the exit. There are only a few of us left, but we go to fight in the morning. The girl and I are in different squads, there are only two squads left. My squad leaves first, hers is supposed to leave right after. We march for awhile, maybe an hour, and I feel something strange in my pack. I open it... the girl I've never spoken to has left me a gift, a very sweet gift. I abandon my squad and rush back to the temple. She's there, one of the familiar people, a very large powerful man, has come back looking for me as well. We leave to catch up with our squad, the girl comes with us. We camp in a glacial valley that night, a small streem has cut an entrance and an exit into the valley. In the middle of the night, she and I aren't sleeping still, we're talking. She asks me to come somewhere with her. I follow her to great cliffs with thin ice bridges and ropes running accross. She asks me to come accross with her to the other side. I realize she's going to kill herself, she's afraid of battle, she's certain she'll die anyway. Instead of starting accross a bridge, she starts accross a rope, I shout "NO", but she's already moving, she stops quite a distance out onto the rope, to my amazement she's just standing there on the rope, looking at me. She smiles sadly, and she says "And what if I do this?" as she leans to the side, allowing herself to fall. Without thinking I launch myself strait down, grabbing the rope, breaking the brittle, half frozen thing away from the cliff. Somehow I catch her with one hand while holding the rope with the other. We swing down, narrowly missing the ground, and swing back and forth on the rope until it finally comes to a stop, leaving us hanging just above the ground, safe. We head back, the war is over, our side won somehow, that group of familiar people isn't angry with me at all, they just ask what happened and laugh when I explain. They seem happy about it. I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment